Sunday, December 5, 2010

We meet "Puffin"

On our way back to the boat after a wonderful meal at 'Amen Cafe' in Charleston, SC, we spot Krogen, "Puffin" tied at the dock.  We think we know these folks. It is still early, the salon lights are on so we knock and Bob & Nancy welcome us on board. We'd met in October at the Solomons Rendezvous.  Next day we get together and go out to S.N.O.B., a Charleston "must do" restaurant. We have a great evening getting reacquainted.  In the am we leave together and head south to Tom Point Creek.  Raft up in a great anchorage with great "new friends"!  That's what we love about this cruising thing, meeting people, seeing new things, doing new things.  Life is better on a boat, you never know what is coming next!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mile Hammock Bay to Charleston

We leave Mile Hammock at 6:45 am along with the sailboat "Random Run".  South to Wrightsville Beach, we bump bottom (again!) in what should be 10' of water in what we believe is the channel. Make a turn to port and out the inlet then we glide into a beautiful lazy 3' swell from the NE, perfect!  That lasts until 23:00 when the breeze picks up, 15-20, and the 2-3' seas hit us on the beam, no big deal, just not as "smooth" as the earlier ride.  Great crossing, 29.5 hours later we tie up at Ashley River Marina, Charleston.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

North Carolina, time to head south!

We get back from Taiwan and head to Wayfarer's Cove.  Thanks Tom & crew for taking good care of us and being so helpful. Krogen folks, if you are following, good place to stop and get your bottom "done".  Nice people, be sure to call ahead and get some advice entering. You'll need it, it's very interesting!  After leaving Wayfarer's we anchor in Adams Creek, then depart at daybreak. The weather is not favorable to go offshore at Moorehead City so we stay inside. Stop at Casper's for some fuel and anchor in Mile Hammock Bay.  The front comes through, the wind howls and the rain comes down in buckets.  The next morning, with the wind blowing, we decide to stay put.  We can't go offshore and the ICW south of Wrightsville is not an appealing option for us.